Although a DIY roofing inspection is no substitute for hiring a trained and licensed roofer once a year for a professional inspection, it’s a good habit to get into. You should do a visual inspection of your roof after every major storm and at least twice a year and if you see anything of concern, call your licensed roofer for roof repair.
How to Do a Roofing Inspection
You should perform a visual inspection from inside your attic and outside your home. Here are some things to look for.
Inside Your Attic
- Light – if you can see light coming in through your roof, you have an issue and should call yoru roofer immediately.
- Wet Insulation – wet insulation is a sign that water is coming into your roof or of condensation. A roofer can solve either issue.
- Staining on the roof deck – if you see dark staining on the roof deck, you likely have a leak running down the roof. A roofer can find the leak and repair it.
From the Outside
- Missing shingles – this is a big sign of an issue. Misaligned shingles is just as big a sign that you need roof repair.
- Granules in your downspouts – if you notice a lot of granules in your downspouts, you may need a roof replacement. The granules on the shingles protect the asphalt and as the shingle ages, the granules begin to detach.
- Bent or broken flashing – flashing helps keep water out of your home at places that the roof connects to other elements like skylights, dormers, and vents. Flashing needs proper maintenance to last and protect your home.
- Streaking or staining on the roof – this is a sign of algae which is literally eating away at your shingles. If you want to remedy this yourself, create a mix of 50% water and 50% bleach in a sprayer and spray the algae, let it dry and then rinse. Be sure to protect your landscaping from the bleach mixture before you rinse it.
If you see any of these signs of roof damage, call your licensed roofer for roof repair. If you don’t, you should still call your roofer once a year for them to perform a complete inspection and provide you with preventative maintenance and roof repair. Cooley Roofing and Construction is your local and licensed roofer serving the Triad for over 20 years. Call to schedule your inspection today – 366-766-6488.