When you look at your home, do you see leaves and other debris in your gutters? If so, they’re likely impeding the flow of water away from your home. Clogged gutters lead to significant home damage, and it’s likely you’ll be paying out of pocket for repairs. It’s an easy problem to avoid; either clean your gutters regularly or get gutter covers installed. The damage we hear about and see range from roof damage to water in the basement.
Roofing System Damage
Many times we’ve said that your roof is more than shingles, it’s a system. Much of the roofing system can sustain damage due to clogged gutters.
- Shingles – The bottom row of shingles on your roof will decay more quickly than those on the rest of the roof when they sit in water or have decaying leaves on them. You’ll need your roof repair company to replace those shingles.
- Roof Deck – If the shingles and water accumulate and sit in the gutters for weeks at a time, it’s likely that you’ll also have damage to the roof deck where the shingles attach. This is a costlier and more involved type of roof repair.
- Fascia – The wood or fascia board that holds your gutters can also rot when water runs between the gutter and your home. It’s common to see water overflowing both sides of clogged gutters.
- Underlayment – If your shingles and roof deck sustained damage, so did your underlayment.
- Insulation – When the damage gets into your home, it soaks the insulation. Once it becomes wet, it is ineffective and must be replaced.
In slab construction, the concrete sits directly on the ground. If too much water pools around your home’s foundation, it can lead to erosion. That erosion leads to instability in your foundation’s base which can lead to cracks.
Wet Basement/Crawl Space
If you don’t have a home built on a slab, you either have a crawl space or basement. When either of those get wet, you experience many different types of damage. They range from damaged furniture or belongings in the basement to mold and even warping floorboards on the flooring above your crawlspace.
Cooley Roofing Offers Gutter Covers
If you’re tired of cleaning your clogged gutters, call Cooley Roofing. We offer quality gutter covers that help prevent the issue and all the associated damage. Reach us by calling (336) 766-6488 or filling out our contact form.